ABI Research’s MWC 2019 ‘Reality Check’ Whitepaper Highlights ‘Anxiety’ and Transformative Technologies
Oyster Bay, New York - 07 Mar 2019
MWC 2019, which was formerly Mobile World Congress, demonstrated the mobile industry knows it needs to change and without that change and a massive recalibration of its fundamental business model and modus operandi, it will become obfuscated, announced ABI Research, a market-foresight advisory firm providing strategic guidance on the most compelling transformative technologies.
“MWC 2019 could best be characterized as displaying an anxiety borne from an industry suffering from a combination of split personality disorder and ADHD,” wrote Stuart Carlaw, Chief Research Officer at ABI Research, in the firm’s post-conference whitepaper: “A Reality Check from Mobile World Congress 2019.”
One half of the industry encompasses an emerging band of technology companies that are addressing some pressing industry-centric issues with real-world solutions based on direct vertical market customer need. “The other half of the industry is made up of a carrier community that is moving at the same pace as the Titanic attempting to turn and avoid the iceberg. Too slow and too late,” added Carlaw.
ABI Research had seven analysts at MWC 2019, which was held in Barcelona, Spain, between Feb. 25-28, 2019. The analysts’ findings are captured in the second annual post-conference whitepaper, “The Future of the Mobile Industry: A Reality Check from Mobile World Congress 2019: 6 Brief Reads for Visionaries.” The analysts focused on these compelling transformative technologies:
- 5G & Mobile Network Infrastructure
- Digital Security
- M2M, IoT & IoE
- Smart Cities & Smart Spaces
- Smart Mobility and Automotive
- Smartphones and Wearables
Some of the analysts’ conclusions from the whitepaper include:
- Private LTE is slowly getting momentum in a market where 5G takes all the headlines.
- A new trend is emerging in the convergence of MSPs and cloud giants as the two categories need each other.
- As a form factor, iSIM is clearly positioning to take advantage of the massive IoT to address low power, computing capable, and low-cost device types.
- Innovation within the payment cards space has clearly moved down the value chain to smaller, more agile players, particularly from a fingerprint sensor perspective.
- The unveiling of fundamental new business strategies and market positioning for traditional IoT module and chipset suppliers.
Download the complete whitepaper at https://go.abiresearch.com/2019-mobile-world-congress-reality-check.
About ABI Research
ABI Research provides strategic guidance for visionaries needing market foresight on the most compelling transformative technologies, which reshape workforces, identify holes in a market, create new business models and drive new revenue streams. ABI’s own research visionaries take stances early on those technologies, publishing groundbreaking studies often years ahead of other technology advisory firms. ABI analysts deliver their conclusions and recommendations in easily and quickly absorbed formats to ensure proper context. Our analysts strategically guide visionaries to take action now and inspire their business to realize a bigger picture. For more information about ABI Research’s forecasting and consulting, visionaries can contact us at +1.516.624.2500 in the Americas, +44.203.326.0140 in Europe, +65.6592.0290 in Asia-Pacific or visit www.abiresearch.com.
Contact ABI Research
- Americas +1.516.624.2542
- Europe +44.(0).203.326.0142
- Asia +65.6592.0290
Other Recent News
- 21 Mar 2019
- Stratasys Takes Top Spot in ABI Research’s Additive Manufacturing Platform Competitive Assessment
- 20 Mar 2019
- ABI Research Ranks Brain Corp, Seegrid, Balyo, and ASI as Top Technology Providers in the Mobile Robot Space
- 19 Mar 2019
- China’s Commercial Telematics Market Evolving, Nearing $5 Billion in System Revenues by 2024
- 14 Mar 2019
- Fingerprint Sensor Shipments to reach 1.26 Billion in 2019 Despite Growth from Face Recognition