ABI Research’s IMTS 2018 Report Highlights How the Manufacturing Landscape Is Set for ‘The American Industrial Revolution’
Oyster Bay, New York - 19 Sep 2018
The manufacturing landscape is about to change and change in a big way, announced ABI Research, a market-foresight advisory firm providing strategic guidance on the most compelling transformative technologies. The debate over if digitization will impact this market has passed. The key questions that should be asked by all involved in this market now are: When will these changes happen? What do I need to do to prepare for this? And finally, which horse do I bet on in terms of technological investment?
ABI Research had seven analysts from its Industrial research group on-site at the IMTS 2018 (International Manufacturing Trade Show) conference in Chicago between Sept. 10-15, 2018, and their observations have been compiled into four brief reads: “The Next American Industrial Revolution: Key Takeaways from IMTS 2018 and Hannover Messe USA.”
There are several emerging technologies that look set to enable manufacturers in developed markets to remain competitive. Some noteworthy findings from the whitepaper include:
- Additive manufacturing is on the cusp of being able to demonstrate its applicability for scale deployment.
- Generative design promises to reduce wastage, speed design processes, and revolutionize material usage.
- Virtualization, visualization, and digital twins are set to reduce machine downtime and machine commissioning time as well as improve the efficiency of all aspects of part and product manufacturing, from start to end.
- Cobots and autonomous material handling robots are set to enable a more efficient and zero touch environment that not only optimizes the shop floor but also extends beyond the line to both ends of the process in the warehouse and eventually into the logistics supply chain.
- AI (Artificial Intelligence), sensorization, connectivity, and IoT (Internet of Things) will be key to optimizing productivity. However, they are currently being held back by conservative attitudes toward data management and connecting machines. This will change as the market pressure mounts.
“These technological advancements hold the promise of enabling a cleaner, more efficient, and relevant manufacturing sector for developed markets. The innovation outlined in the ‘The Next American Industrial Revolution’ paper will spill over into the supply chain, and the two market segments will be characterized by blurred edges,” said Stuart Carlaw, Chief Research Officer at ABI Research. “Importantly, some of these technologies will enable the democratization of automation down into the small and medium-sized enterprises. This will have significant impacts on gross domestic product and national output.”
The following compelling transformative technologies are highlighted in the report:
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
- M2M (Machine to Machine), IoT (Internet of Things) & IoE (Internet of Everything)
- Robotics, Automation & Intelligent Systems
- Smart Manufacturing
Download the complete report by clicking here or visiting https://go.abiresearch.com/american-industrial-revolution-one-minute-reads.
Three ABI Research analysts also will present a live Webinar on September 20 (Thursday) at 2 p.m. U.S. Eastern time about the IMTS 2018/Hannover Messe USA outcomes: “What Should Smart Manufacturing Embrace, Pursue and Question?”
To register for this Webinar, click here or visit https://www.abiresearch.com/webinars/hannover-messe-usaimts-2018-outcomes-what-should-smart-manufacturing-embrace-pursue-and-question/.
- Read the “Smart Manufacturing Platform Ranking Executive Summary”
- Discover “The Top Strategic Recommendations for Industrial Technology Visionaries”
- Know "The Top Questions & Answers for Industrial Innovators: Six 1-Minute Transformative Technology Reads"
About ABI Research
ABI Research provides strategic guidance for visionaries needing market foresight on the most compelling transformative technologies, which reshape workforces, identify holes in a market, create new business models and drive new revenue streams. ABI’s own research visionaries take stances early on those technologies, publishing groundbreaking studies often years ahead of other technology advisory firms. ABI analysts deliver their conclusions and recommendations in easily and quickly absorbed formats to ensure proper context. Our analysts strategically guide visionaries to take action now and inspire their business to realize a bigger picture. For more information about ABI Research’s forecasting, consulting and teardown services, visionaries can contact us at +1.516.624.2500 in the Americas, +44.203.326.0140 in Europe, +65.6592.0290 in Asia-Pacific or visit www.abiresearch.com.
Contact ABI Research
- Americas +1.516.624.2542
- Europe +44.(0).203.326.0142
- Asia +65 6950.5670
Other Recent News
- 18 Apr 2019
- Annual Smart Street Lighting Revenue Will Grow 10-Fold to Reach US$1.7 Billion in 2026
- 17 Apr 2019
- Augmented and Virtual Reality Tools Empower Education and Drive AR/VR Market Value to US$700 Million by 2023
- 16 Apr 2019
- Threat Factors drive Cities’ Resilience Spending to US$335 Billion in 2024
- 11 Apr 2019
- ABI Research’s Hannover Messe 2019 Whitepaper: Companies ‘Aggressively Pursuing Technology’ for Increased Productivity and Profitability