UnTelco for Consumer IoT: Telco Opportunities and Market Activities
In this report, ABI Research analyzes the UnTelco opportunity in the consumer IoT market. ABI Research coined the concept “UnTelco” to define those activities, strategies, and opportunities that Mobile Service Providers (MSPs) should pursue beyond their traditional offerings to foster their revenue growth. As revenue from the mobile consumer market continues to decline, telco vendors and operators are looking at other verticals for new UnTelco growth opportunities.
While the consumer IoT market is an umbrella term covering all consumer IoT-related devices and applications including the smart home, this report focuses on those opportunities and applications outside of the home. Namely, it mostly focuses on applications currently explored by a few forward-looking MSPs, such as the connected car Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) and tracking applications. In this report, ABI Research explores the key trends, technologies, and use cases defining the market as well as initiatives, strategies, and opportunities that MSPs must use to develop a successful consumer IoT strategy. The report also provides the consumer IoT UnTelco market forecast as well as recommendations for MSPs. Key technologies enabling the growth of the consumer IoT market and discussed in this report are, among others, NB-IoT, LTE-M, and eSIM while other topics analyzed include business models and the relationship between consumer IoT and the smart home. Companies discussed in the report include Vodafone, Telia, SK Telecom, Samsung, Gemalto, and NTT Docomo.
Table of Contents
- 1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 2. RECOMMENDATIONS
- 3. THE UNTELCO CONCEPT
- 4. THE CONSUMER IOT MARKET
- 4.1. Consumer IoT Applications
- 4.2. Connectivity Technologies
- 4.3. eSIM
- 5. TELCOS' TRADITIONAL ACTIVITIES IN THE CONSUMER MARKET
- 5.1. The Consumer Market
- 6. UNTELCO APPLICATIONS IN THE CONSUMER IOT MARKET
- 6.1. Tracking Applications
- 6.2. Wearables and Fitness and Health Devices
- 6.3. Mobility and the Connected Car
- 7. UNTELCO BUSINESS MODELS AND STRATEGIES FOR THE CONSUMER IOT MARKET
- 7.1. How Should MSPs Monetize the Consumer IoT?
- 7.2. What Is the Role of NB-IoT and LTE-M in Supporting the Consumer IoT Market?
- 7.3. In-Between the Smart Home and Consumer IoT
- 8. FORECAST
- 9. CASE STUDIES
- 9.1. V by Vodafone Is a Half Step in the Right Direction
- 9.2. Consumer IoT Must Learn from Enterprise IoT, but Go in Its Own Direction
- 10. COMPANY PROFILES
- 10.1. Gemalto
- 10.2. Telia
- 10.3. Vodafone
- 10.4. Traxfamily