Professional Services Driving IoT Revenues Today but Will be Displaced by IoT Software Platforms and Analytics Revenues Starting in 2019
Oyster Bay, New York - 02 Nov 2015
In new data from ABI Research’s IoT Market Tracker, professional services are driving over 40% of global IoT revenues today. Professional services consist of a myriad of service activities including mobile, web and server-side application development, IT and OT systems integration, and consulting. However, by 2019, software platforms and analytics services will each drive more revenues globally than professional services in IoT markets.
See ABI Research’s IoT Market Tracker.
“There are many companies today who believe they can build their own IoT solution with the help of system integrators and VARs,” says Day Shey, Vice President and IoT Practice Director at ABI Research. “Some companies require a customized solution due to their own requirements and very complex systems. However, not all of these efforts yield the results hoped for, and they miss out on the efficiencies provided by a vast supplier base offering IoT software platforms.”
Indeed, IoT software platform suppliers provide tools and services to greatly simplify extracting data from machines and things, managing them and building IoT applications. This group consists of a well-established set of suppliers who have focused their platforms on vertical markets led by vendors serving the OEM and fleet telematics segments. But it also consists of a long tail of platform vendors offering everything from very specialized services to a whole software stack including applications development. ABI Research believes that “verticalized” platforms will continue to hold the largest share of the IoT software platform market with new growth provided by the smart home and healthcare segments.
“Ultimately the goal of IoT connections is the data, and the IoT data and analytics market is set to grow the fastest of any of the major IoT revenue categories,” continues Shey. “Similar to the platform market, this segment also has a well-established base of suppliers but it is the startups in this market that are providing the innovation and expanding analytics to a broader base of businesses.”
The IoT Market Tracker provides connections and services revenues in six revenue segments for 2G, 3G, 4G, fixed line and satellite connections across more than 30 application segments, 30 industry verticals and 4 size of business segments, covering 18 individual countries and regions. It is part of ABI Research’s IoE, Enterprise & M2M Research Service, which includes research reports, market data, insights and competitive assessments.
ABI Research provides technology market research and technology intelligence for industry innovators. From offices in North America, Europe and Asia, ABI Research’s worldwide team of experts advises thousands of decision makers through 70+ research and advisory services. Est. 1990. For more information visit www.abiresearch.com, or call +1.516.624.2500.
Contact ABI Research
- Americas +1.516.624.2542
- Europe +44.(0).203.326.0142
- Asia +65.6592.0290
- IoT Market Tracker - Australia
- IoT Market Tracker - Brazil
- IoT Market Tracker - Canada
- IoT Market Tracker - China
- IoT Market Tracker - France
- IoT Market Tracker - Germany
- IoT Market Tracker - India
- IoT Market Tracker - Italy
- IoT Market Tracker - Japan
- IoT Market Tracker - Middle East Africa
- IoT Market Tracker - Rest of Asia Pacific
- IoT Market Tracker - Rest of Eastern Europe
- IoT Market Tracker - Rest of Latin America
- IoT Market Tracker - Rest of Western Europe
- IoT Market Tracker - Russia
- IoT Market Tracker - South Korea
- IoT Market Tracker - United Kingdom
- IoT Market Tracker - United States
- IoT Market Tracker - Worldwide
Other Recent News
- 15 Aug 2018
- RF Power Semiconductors for Wireless Infrastructure Over US$1 Billion for 2018 with GaN Grabbing More Share
- 14 Aug 2018
- Proprietary Operating Systems Dominate the Wearable OS Market as Sports, Fitness, and Wellness Trackers Get Smarter
- 13 Aug 2018
- ABI Research Analysts to Provide Strategic Guidance About Transformative Technologies Impacting Industrial Manufacturing to Hannover Messe USA/IMTS 2018 Attendees
- 09 Aug 2018
- Electric Vehicle Mileage Share to Exceed 20% by 2030 But Urban Charging and Grid Challenges Loom Large