The Evolution of Smart IoT Gateways
A turbulent but hyper-connected future lies ahead bolstered by different types of communication protocols, security specifications, edge and cloud services applications. The demands of the Internet of Things are forcing an evolutionary change on gateways altering the way they fit into the connectivity and data management value chain. These Smart IoT Gateways have a brand new arsenal of technologies which applies to a much greater array of IoT applications, easing implementation, enhancing AI and machine learning, and forming a symbiotic relationship between edge and cloud computing.
Market insights and company profiles are available for vendors such as Cradlepoint, Kerlink, Multitech, Libelium, B+B SmartWorx, DELL, and NXP. This report features IoT gateway market data featuring the technology migration from older (2G, 3G) to newer (4G, 5G, LPWA-LTE) cellular protocols, as well as providing an overview of the major market verticals: mobility and transportation, commercial and enterprise, industrial and infrastructure. It also outlines the current and future market demands, analyzes the intelligent features associated with customizability and data analytics applications on the horizon, and offers strategic guidelines for implementers aiming to make the best out of this new breed of IoT gateways.
Table of Contents
- 1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 2. ANATOMY OF A "SMART" IOT GATEWAY
- 2.1. Methodology and Introduction
- 2.2. Vendor Confustion over the Key Features: When Is a "Smart" Gateway an Option?
- 2.3. No Device Left Behind: Tapping into the Legacy Infrastructure
- 2.4. What Does It Mean to Be "Geared for the IoT"?
- 2.5. Insecure IoT Gateways Threaten Security Posture
- 2.6. From Cloud to Edge: A Symbiotic Relationship for Smart Gateways
- 2.7. ML, Customizability, and Data Brokers
- 3. MARKET TRENDS FROM THE M2M/IOT GATEWAY MARKET
- 3.1. Fixed-Line Gateways Still Dominate the Current Market
- 3.2. Technology Migration Toward LTE and Cellular-LPWA
- 3.3. Impressive Growth for Commercial and Enterprise Gateways
- 3.4. Smart IoT Gateway Forecasts
- 4. VENDOR PROFILES
- 4.1. B+B SmartWorx (Advantech)
- 4.2. Cradlepoint
- 4.3. Dell
- 4.4. Kerlink
- 4.5. Libelium
- 4.6. MultiTech
- 4.7. Sierra Wireless
- 4.8. NXP