Latin America Network Operator M2M Market Analysis
While the Latin American market for cellular M2M connections is experiencing overall growth due to a combination of economic expansion, government initiatives, and vertical-specific demand, operators have largely failed to meet their initial expectations and achieve mass market adoption. LA poses many geopolitical challenges not present across other regions, such as large and rural geographic areas, high taxes and restrictive regulations, and considerable risk for external investment. Additionally, many operators lack a clear strategy of where they want to fit in the overall value chain and are focusing their attention on the B2C mobile market. As a result, proprietary LPWA solution providers such as Sigfox, American Tower, and Everynet have started to shift the LA M2M market away from traditional MNOs.
This report examines the competitive Latin American market for operator M2M services. Market quantification is provided for operator cellular connections both in the historical context and for future M2M connections, together with operator forecast projections through 2023 for America Movil, Antel, Entel, Movilnet, Oi Telecom, Telecom Personal, Telefonica, Tigo, and TIM Brasil.
For operators to address the LA M2M market opportunity, they must implement strategies that better enable them to meet changing market demands and establish an ecosystem of value chain providers. The report details these opportunities and concludes with operator recommendations moving forward.
Table of Contents
- 1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 2. LATIN AMERICA'S CELLULAR M2M MARKET ENVIRONMENT
- 2.1. Key Developments in the Latin American Market for Cellular M2M
- 3. COUNTRY-LEVEL DATA
- 3.1. Drivers and Inhibitors for Cellular M2M in the LA Market
- 4. LATIN AMERICA'S MAJOR NETWORK OPERATOR ANALYSIS
- 4.1. America Movil/Claro
- 4.2. Oi Telecom
- 4.3. Telefonica/Vivo
- 4.4. TIM Brasil
- 4.5. Smaller Providers
- 5. RECOMMENDATIONS
- 5.1. Realize that Connectivity Is the Lowest Common Denominator
- 5.2. Large Opportunities for Few Operators, but Partnerships exist
- 5.3. Further Development of the Ecosystem
- 5.4. Develop Strategies and New Business Models
- 5.5. LPWA Technologies Are the Keys to Future Growth, but Proprietary Solutions Have First-Mover Advantage