Dan Shey, Managing Director and Vice President at ABI Research, manages the M2M/IoT, digital security and wearables research services, which cover the telecom, industrial, IT and OT ecosystems with a focus on devices, connectivity, platforms, applications, big data/analytics, convergence, and strategic analysis of the entire IoT value chain extending from devices through value-added services. He plays an essential role in helping clients decipher the complex relationships and opportunities across the “digital first” and “physical first” domains.
Prior to joining ABI Research, Dan worked as an independent technology business consultant. This included engagements for a mobile asset tracking/mapping products firm, a web-based pay-for-performance marketing company, a startup voice services business, and a business process and IT consulting firm. He also executed contract research projects for ABI Research.
Earlier still, Dan worked in product management, product development, and marketing at Qwest Wireless. In these roles, he managed multiple voice and data products and developed business plans for a number of new wireless products, including data-centric devices, Wi-Fi, and mobile broadband, as well as leading teams to develop fixed-mobile services. At Qwest, Dan was part of the Management Development Program for high-potential senior management candidates. Previous to Qwest, he was a project engineer at Boeing, during which time his responsibilities ranged from product development to shop floor operations to field support. He also served as a business development manager at St. Louis Testing Laboratories.
With more than 25 years of industry experience, Dan frequently authors reports and insights that extend across the IoT, industrial, consumer and enterprise segments. Dan is frequently quoted in major industry trade and business media, including The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, CNN, Wireless Week, PC World, Cellular-News, and Network World.
Dan holds a B.S. in Physics from Loras College and an M.S. in Metallurgy from Iowa State University. In 2000, he received his MBA from the University of Michigan, where he is also a Fellow of the school’s Tauber Manufacturing Institute.
Blogs by Dan Shey
- California Court Ruling on Employee-Owned Mobile Device Use for Work Activities - Will the Tension Increase or Subside?
- Visual Augmented Reality - Enterprise Security
- Carrier IQ: Guilty Until Proven Innocent
- SMBs Embracing Smartphones for Business Purposes - Dahhhhh!!!
- DT and Orange Wi-Fi Services Cooperation - Traffic, Traffic, Traffic
- Who Wins with a Faster Network?
- iPhone Impact on Verizon's Network?
- Who Wins with Limited Access Mobile Broadband Plans - Wi-Fi
- Verizon LTE Announcement at CTIA – All Competitive Positioning
Dan Shey in the News
- Sierra Wireless offers LPWA module with GNSS
- Sierra Wireless Launches World’s First Plug-and-Play Technology to Simplify the Complex Internet of Things
- Why Sierra Wireless Stock Popped Today
- Seven Traits of Highly Successful IOT Implementers
- Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Enterprise AR Platform Vuforia Gets Support for HoloLens and Windows 10
- PTC Technology Platform Delivers Comprehensive Internet of Things Computing at the Edge
- ICT Vendors and the Enterprise Ecosystem
- Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile Need to Grab This $200 Billion Opportunity
- Amazon Casts Its Net on the Internet of Things | Internet of Things
- Software and Analytics to Steal Lion's Share of IoT Revenues
- Cisco Snaps Up German IoT Analytics Company ParStream
- Beacons Move Back into the Spotlight
- IoT Services Revenue Growth in China to be the Fastest Globally
- IoT Services Revenues in China to Surpass $41B by 2020
- Data Analytics Gives China Global Lead in IoT Services Revenues
- China's Internet of Things Services Revenues Growing Faster than Any Other Major Country
- Car OEM Telematics Leads IoT Segments and Generates $60B Service Revenues in 2020
- Amazon Casts Its Net on the Internet of Things
- Will 2G Network Rule India's Telematics Market Till 2020?
- Connected Cars "Will Rely on 3G for Now," New Research Claims
- Hortau Selects mnubo to Bring Predictive Intelligence to Precision Irrigation Management
- IoT Evolution Developers Conference Announces the Addition of Industry Leaders
- San Jose to Dabble With Smart City Tech
- IBM's z13 Emerges From Mainframe Fountain of Youth
- IoT Analytics Market will Boom
- Market for IoT Analytics to Reach US$5.7 Billion in 2015, with Startups Driving the Innovation, According to ABI Research
- IoT application platforms make steady gains in 2014 as GE shakes up market by opening Predix to third parties, says ABI Research
- IoT application platforms see steady growth
- IoT Application Platforms Make Steady Gains in 2014 as GE Shakes Up Market by Opening Predix to Third Parties, Says ABI Research
- Wireless Connected Devices to Reach 40.9 Billion Units in 2020
- Internet of Things will drive wireless connected devices to 40.9 billion in 2020
- The Internet of Things Will Drive Connected Devices to 40.9 Billion in 2020
- The Internet of Things Will Drive Wireless Connected Devices to 40.9 Billion in 2020
- The Internet of Things will drive wireless connected devices to 40.9 billion in 2020
- OEM and Aftermarket Telematics using cellular M2M will dominate market shares
- Energy Industry Poised To Boost Spending On Big Data And Analytics
- OEM and Telematics Expected to Surpass 40% of M2M Connections by 2019
- Apple, IBM Bond Over Big Business
- Apple, IBM Bond Over Big Business
- Sierra Wireless Remains in Top Spot for M2M Revenue, Shipments
- Tight Race for Number Two M2M Cellular Module Vendor as Sierra Wireless Maintains Number 1 Position for 3rd Straight Year
- IoT developers to total 3 million in 2019, paving the way for hardware renaissance, says ABI Research
- IoT Developers Multiplying Like Rabbits
- Software AG Unveils New Internet of Things Solution Accelerator
- ABI Research: Enterprise wearables market to reach US$18 billion by 2019
- Maintenance Analytics to Generate $24.7 Billion in 2019, Driven by Predictive Maintenance and Internet of Things
- Maintenance Analytics to Reach $24.7 Billion in 2019
- Internet of Things North America 2014: conference program
- Will tablets replace waitresses and store clerks?