Gallium Nitride Will Drive Its Share of RF High-Power Semiconductor Revenues to More Than Double by 2022
Oyster Bay, New York - 15 Jun 2017
Spending on RF high-power semiconductors for the wireless infrastructure markets continues to flatten out this year, despite the fact that the overall market hit well over $1.4 billion in 2016. While certain market and sub-market segments are showing moderate growth, ABI Research finds that Gallium Nitride (GaN) is capturing meaningful market share of RF high-power semiconductors, especially in wireless infrastructure. The technology will drive Gallium Nitride’s share of RF Power semiconductor revenues to more than double between 2016 and 2022.
“GaN is again increasing its market share in 2017, and we believe it will be the major technology force in wireless infrastructure RF high-power semiconductors by 2022,” says Lance Wilson, Research Director at ABI Research. “This now mainstream technology bridges the gap between two older technologies, exhibiting the high-frequency performance of Gallium Arsenide and power handling capabilities of Silicon LDMOS.”
Outside of wireless infrastructures in the RF high-power semiconductor business, defense-oriented and commercial avionics/air traffic control market segments show the strongest performance.
“Despite the ongoing poor press for defense-oriented electronic hardware, the actual performance in 2016 was better than originally thought for some sub-segments,” concludes Wilson. “In total, the defense-oriented and commercial ATC segments will be a significant long-term market and one to keep an eye on moving forward.”
These findings are from ABI Research’s RF Power Semiconductors report.
Contact ABI Research
- Americas +1.516.624.2542
- Europe +44.(0).203.326.0142
- Asia +65 6950.5670
Other Recent News
- 25 Apr 2019
- Emerging Markets, ADAS, and Cold-Chain Driving Global Commercial Vehicle Telematics Revenues to Over US$29 Billion by 2024
- 24 Apr 2019
- Pollution Health Hazards to Accelerate Deployment of Air Quality Monitoring Stations, Reaching 31,000 by 2024
- 23 Apr 2019
- Warehousing Pressures Driving Substantial Investment in Augmented Reality, Voice Solutions, and People Tracking
- 18 Apr 2019
- Annual Smart Street Lighting Revenue Will Grow 10-Fold to Reach US$1.7 Billion in 2026