06 Mar 2018
Mobile World Congress Highlights the Challenges Facing Mobile Service Providers
MWC 2018 left many of us at ABI Research deeply concerned about the future health of the mobile ecosystem and the Mobile Service Provider (MSP) community. There is a growing chasm between what MSPs should be doing versus what they are doing and can do.
Here are some noteworthy observations:
- It's about solutions not technologies: MSPs are not simplifying the decision tree for potential customers but rather complicating it and slowing down market momentum.
- Digital transformation is more than a technology drive: It’s a complete end-to-end process that touches IT, operations, human resources, management structure and corporate culture.
- MSPs can't talk vertical language: There is a fundamental disconnect between how MSPs communicate and how potential vertical market customers outline needs.
- There is no killer business model: MSPs have an unnatural ﬁxation with killer apps and business models; there will be no single plan for 5G.
- More partnerships needed, can’t build it alone: MSPs need more partnerships than ever to build a competitive technological ecosystem-based solution while at the same time, correctly expose their capabilities to prospective new clients.
ABI has compiled 13 quick reads highlighting the “Future of the Mobile Industry: A Reality Check From Mobile World Congress 2018”; discover the trends that were uncovered at MWC.