As a Principal Analyst for ABI Research, Michael Inouye orchestrates research and analysis surrounding video and virtual reality (VR), including hardware, services, and related technologies. He also conducts research regarding other cloud services beyond over-the-top (OTT) video, as well as multiscreen/TV Everywhere in the home.
His background has provided him a solid understanding of markets for a wide variety of consumer premises equipment and of digital media in the home.
Prior to joining ABI Research, Mike was a Research Analyst at MMI and In-Stat, where he researched and produced reports and forecasts in the areas of digital broadcast satellite/terrestrial set-top boxes, broadband consumer premises equipment, solid state drives, and consumer media and content.
Previously, he served for three years as a research assistant/research technician in the pediatrics department of the University of Arizona.
Mike is co-author of two academic papers.
Mike earned a BS in Biological Sciences from the University of Arizona and an MBA from Carnegie Mellon University, concentrating in marketing, finance, and strategy.
Blogs by Michael Inouye
- eSports – Does that First Letter Mean it’s Not a Sport?
- Did Santa Forget the 4K UltraHD Content this year?
- NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Coming July 29th
- A Farewell to PDPs – but is the “Superior Product” Losing?
- Why “YouTwitch” Isn’t a Bad Idea
- Upscaling Towards a 4K Future
- Sony Announces PS Vita TV (and new redesigned Vita Handheld)
- NVIDIA SHIELD Lands in Late June, Priced at $349
- Troubles in the (Gaming) Cloud?
- Just How Much Online Video Can We Consume?
- Nintendo Considering Support for 2 Wii U Controllers for Local Gaming…Is This Recipe for Disaster?
- “So It Begins” – Netflix’s Journey Towards the Pay-TV Precipice
- Should We Say Farewell to the “Early Adopter?”
- Lower Wii price and PSN troubles…should Sony worry?
- Warner Bros.’ acquisition of Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes is further evidence media is moving to digital services, but is there trouble in the cloud or are recent events just isolated lightning strikes?
- Strong Nintendo 3DS sales in Japan and Possibility of ACCESS’ NetFront Browser…Proof the Portable Game Market can Coexist with Mobile?
- Nintendo 3DS…Sony PSP2…Compelling Enough to Stave Off the Transition to Mobile Gaming (at least for now)?
- Pre CES 2011 - Thinking About the Technology of 2010
- New iPods, Apple TV, iOS update, and Ping
- Cisco Bolstering Presence in the TV Everywhere Scene
- Coming Soon to Home Video…well, that depends on where you rent videos or better yet you can always buy a copy!
- World’s First Android Based TV will come from the People of Lava…Wait Who!?
- Does Antipiracy = Content Protection?
- Disneys Keychest Does it Hold a Magic Carpet Ride to the Riches Held Within the Virtual Cloud?
Michael Inouye in the News
- Sportflix launch delayed, but for how long?
- Global VR market to generate revenue in excess of $60bn in 2022
- Xbox One X: More Speed, More Muscle
- Editor’s Corner— How Verizon Can Actually Make its Streaming TV Different
- Facebook Builds a VR Space, but Will Anyone Come?
- Who’s Next? Apple, Amazon, CenturyLink May Join Streaming TV Fray
- Facebook Cuts Ribbon on New Online Marketplace
- Instagram Opens Snappy New Events Channel
- Apps are the New Channels Says Apple as it Beefs up Apple TV Offering
- Verizon Finalizes AOL Takeover, Hints at Features of Upcoming OTT Video Service
- Apple's Expected Music Streaming Service Could Find Its Match in Pandora
- Mobile and Casual Gaming Fuels Gaming Content Markets Despite Volatility of Individual Publishers, According to ABI Research
- Samsung Offers Free Milk to All
- Apple Outage: How To Protect Yourself From Downtime In The Cloud
- Online Video Revenue is Diversified with Strong Growth for Short Form, TV, and Movies
- Short-form video market to be worth US$13bn by 2019
- Short-form has strong future but TV and films drive online video
- India 4K Market Could be One to Watch ABI Research Analyst Says
- Akamai dominates CDN space, on track for $5B in revenue
- Mobile Devices with 4K Screens Expected to Reach 478M Units by 2019
- Report: Mobile Devices Moving to 4K Displays
- ABI: 4K Mobile Device Sales to Reach 478M Units by 2019
- Cord-nevers unlikely to ever buy pay TV, while OTT providers step up 4K game
- OTT Competition Fuels TV Market
- ABI: 4K TV Adoption Will Vary Between OTT and PayTV
- OTT services see 4K differentiation opportunities
- Multiscreen Video & Home Automation Push Gateway Market Amid Fragmentation
- Smart homes offer fresh opportunity for pay-TV
- Standards Lag Service Provider IoT Opportunities
- Physical sales plummet as OTT, VOD surge
- ABI Research: home network penetration to pass 33% of households by 2018
- Mobile accounts for 20% of all video views
- Global mobile view share to double by 2019
- ABI: Mobile Video Trumps Connected Devices
- Mobile Video Growth Will Continue to Outpace Viewing on Connected CE
- ABI Research: portable speakers powering the digital speaker market
- Screens set to embrace the 4K way
- North American 4K TV ownership to hit 10% in 2018
- ABI Research—By 2018, 4K Will Move Up To Ten Percent (Of SatBroadcasting™ Interest—Analysis | Reports)
- Microsoft takes over Sony in game console competitive assessment
- Will Sony's PlayStation Advantage Last Into Launch?
- Microsoft Just Edges Sony in ABI Research’s Game Console Competitive Assessment; Nintendo a Distant Third
- Future of gaming is in the cloud
- Smart set-top boxes, dongles continue to grow
- Chromecast pushes set-top box and dongle market
- Google Chromecast to boost set-top and dongle market
- Google Boosts Set-Top, Dongle Markets
- Analyst Believes The PS4, Xbox One And Wii U Won't Match Their Predecessor's Sales
- New consoles coming, but forecasts fall short: ABI Research
- Growth of multiscreen or TV everywhere services slowed down by content right issues, says ABI Research