Rising Through the AI Ranks: Sensetime and the Potential for Biometric Surveillance
Sensetime, a Chinese company specializing in Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications across a variety of market segments, has been enlisted in the National Open Innovation Platform for Next-Generation AI alongside other prominent companies, which include Alibaba, Baidu, Tencent, and iFlyTek. The company has amassed a staggering investment total of US$4.5 billion, possibly making it the most prominent AI-based startup to date. The company’s vision is a multifaceted one, aimed at various market segments like automotive driver monitoring systems, augmented reality rendering for mobile applications, identity verification for banking and finance, and, of course, facial recognition software for surveillance initiatives. It is that latter application in which the Chinese government is highly interested, and it is one that is not only defining public security in modern China but also creating adjacency effects (i.e., biometrics surveillance) in Asia-Pacific (APAC) as a whole.
To find out more about subscribing:
- Mobile Identities and Derived Credentials
- Contactless Ticketing Smart Card Technologies
- The IT versus OT Conundrum Brings New Cybersecurity Challenges for Connected Industrial Control Systems
- Payment & Banking Card Technologies Market Update
- eSIM: Consumer, M2M, and IoT Market Update