Facebook Announces Stand-Alone 6DoF HMD, Oculus Quest
At October’s Oculus Connect conference, Facebook announced its next Virtual Reality (VR) platform, Quest (code named Santa Cruz). Quest is a stand-alone solution offering full Six Degrees of Freedom (6DoF) VR experiences (room-scale VR with 6DoF controllers) and will ship in spring 2019 for US$399. Pricing puts it amid the company’s 3DoF stand-alone system Oculus Go, which starts at US$199, and the high-end tethered Rift (pricing for packages typically start at the same US$399 price but requires a personal computer [PC]). The hardware is reportedly based on Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 platform (above the Go’s Snapdragon 821 platform but lower than the current Snapdragon 845).
To find out more about subscribing:
- Operators Embrace Next Generation Home-Networking Devices to Provide Robust Whole-Home Wi-Fi
- Set-Top Box Video System on Chip (SoC) Semiconductors
- Home Networking: Ethernet, Wi-Fi, MoCa, HomePlug, HomePNA, G.hn
- UltraViolet Shutting Down on July 31, 2019
- Hot Tech Innovators: Artificial Intelligence in Video