Telefonica is an UnTelco Example to Follow
Telefonica is one of the largest mobile service providers in the world and was recently benchmarked in terms of innovation in our Telco Innovation Benchmark, along with other top-20 operators. We assessed these mobile service providers in terms of 3GPP involvement, patents, R&D spend and open source contributions. Telefonica stood out: although it was not in the top-10 list for nearly all of these metrics, it was the top performer in terms of R&D spend. We interpreted this exceptional behavior as Telefonica investing heavily in its internal transformation, which rarely translates to external activities including patents and 3GPP contributions. However, we were not entirely certain this was the case.
To find out more about subscribing:
- Will Rakuten Deservedly Become the King of Mobile Network Technology?
- MWC Says 5G Is Here: Maybe for Consumers, but Surely Not for Verticals
- The “Strategy Paradox” in a 5G Era—Ericsson, Huawei, and Nokia Must Embrace “Options” Now to Have Options in the Future
- Network Functions Virtualization Tracker and Forecasts
- Is There Still Something to Look Forward to at MWC19?