Opportunities and Challenges for the NFC Tag Market
The Near-Field Communication (NFC) tag market is once again becoming a key topic of discussion following last year’s move by Apple to enable iPhones running iOS 11 to read NFC tags for the first time. The move came at a critical juncture in the NFC tag market as 2017 witnessed a further decline in the gaming segment due to weak sales and product discontinuations. For example, Disney Skylanders has not unveiled any new products since 2016, while LEGO Dimensions was discontinued in October 2017 due to its disappointing performance. The year 2018 is expected to see a further decline in the NFC tag gaming segment as these discontinuations continue to hit the market, though there is hope looking forward that new product announcements will be able to revitalize the gaming segment and achieve a semblance of its 2015 success. Furthermore, new growth opportunities are expected in the connected products market over the next few years. Tag vendors are all hoping that this will finally allow NFC tags to flourish and reach their true market potential, though there are a number of challenges ahead for the tag ecosystem in the near future.
To find out more about subscribing:
- Bluetooth Beacon Technologies: Use Cases and Market Opportunities
- Hot Tech Innovators: Wireless Connectivity
- Samsung and Broadcom Partner to Deliver the World's First Wi-Fi 6 Smartphone
- Wi-Fi 6, Mesh Networking, and the Growth of More Intelligent Distributed Wi-Fi
- Wireless Connectivity Technology Segmentation & Addressable Markets