Cellular M2M Rate Plans: Next Up Is “Throttling”-as-a-Service
Cellular operators are deploying M2M services with the latest LTE Cat-M and NB-IoT technologies with rate plans for IoT applications and M2M services that are following the traditional smartphone data plan approach. In many applications, the IoT mostly-sleepy-node model is expected to contribute relatively light data loads, on average. Average is a difficult concept in many IoT applications: while the anticipated traffic under normal conditions may be easy to estimate, the exceptional event or emergency attention messages will need both priority handling and reliable network access. M2M cellular data service is evolving to “bandwidth on demand,” and the critical question is, will capacity be available when needed?
To find out more about subscribing:
- IoT Hardware Development Kits and Software Platforms
- Telco’s M2M Services Need Defense Options Against Hacked IoT Devices
- Partnerships and Acquisitions in the Maturing IoT Ecosystem
- USC and City of Los Angeles Form IoT Consortium to Drive Smart City Innovation
- Data Centers will be the Bulk of Nvidia’s Business in Five Years’ Time