Next-generation powered payment cards have been in the market periphery for a number of years, largely remaining in a dormant phase as vendors continued to research, develop, and ultimately define and understand the potential customer base for a number of powered card form factors, including DCV (Dynamic Code Verification) and biometric sensor cards.
Today a number of pilots and trials are in situ, marking the beginning of a significant exploratory and testing phase by issuers, coming at a time when overall EMV card market growth is slowing, paired with challenging ASP pressures, significantly impacting margins. Ecosystem players are now looking towards powered card form factors as the next generation, higher value proposition platform from which to counterbalance any negative impact from a slowing and increasingly price sensitive market, whilst using as a differentiating factor to distinguish from lower cost competitors.
ABI Research's Next-Generation Powered Payment Cards report will take a deep dive into the area of powered payment cards, looking individually at the market dynamics and opportunities as it pertains to biometric sensor cards, DCV cards and other interactive powered card form factors. Discussion and analysis centers around regional dynamics and opportunities, business models, drivers, inhibitors and potential impacts, accompanied by a set of five year forecasts, outlining ABI Research’s adoption expectations for next generation powered payment cards.
Table of Contents
- 1. SETTING THE PAYMENT CARDS MARKET SCENE
- 1.1. the Market Today and What to Expect Tomorrow
- 1.2. Smart Card Vendor Payment Cards Market Share Snapshot
- 2. NEXT-GENERATION POWERED PAYMENT CARD CONTENDERS, DRIVERS, AND INHIBITORS
- 2.1. Next-Generation Powered Payment Cards: The Contenders
- 2.2. Dynamic Code Verification Cards
- 2.3. Biometric Sensor Cards
- 2.4. Other Interactive Powered Cards
- 2.5. Types of Power
- 3. OPPORTUNITIES AND MARKET CONSIDERATIONS
- 3.1. Managing Expectations for Payment innovation
- 3.2. The Payment Card Is Here to Stay
- 3.3. Are Next-Generation Powered Payment Cards a Bridging Technology?
- 3.4. Accurately Measuring Fraud Could Hinder the Market
- 3.5. Do next generation powered payment cards have to offer more than just another security layer?
- 3.6. The Holy Grail Is Payments, But Other Markets Do Exist
- 4. MARKET FORECASTS
- 4.1. Forecast Summary
- 4.2. Worldwide Market Summary
- 4.3. Regional Forecasts by Application
- 5. VENDORS, BUSINESS MODELS, AND INNOVATION
- 5.1. Business Model Approaches
- 5.2. Innovation Shifting Down the Value Chain
- 5.3. Vendor Activities and Notable News
- 6. RECOMMENDATIONS AND CONSIDERATIONS
- 7. APPENDIX: NEXT-GENERATION POWERED PAYMENT CARD FORECAST METHODOLOGY
- 7.1. Payment Card Market Sizing Forecast Methodology
- 7.2. Next-Generation Payment Card Forecast Methodology
- 7.3. Payment Card Market Share Methodology