5G is Coming! Verizon Aims for a 2017 First Mover Advantage
Verizon continues to show industry leadership and plans a first mover advantage with a 5G (Verizon-style) mmWave fixed wireless launch for 2017. Not content to wait for mobile standards, fixed wireless is feasible, as Verizon controls both ends of the RF channel and can use any technology it wishes (but LTE-A Pro and 802.11ad WiGig come to mind). Verizon’s forward-looking strategy puts in place a 4G densification infrastructure and reuses much of the capital investment for 5G, both wireless and fixed. Infrastructure vendors Ericsson and Nokia are mentioned, but the company is strangely silent on a CPE and chip vendor; though, it would not be surprising to see Qualcomm play a significant role.
To find out more about subscribing:
- Wi-Fi Customer Premise Equipment (SOHO/Consumer and Enterprise Market)
- Evolution of MIMO in LTE Networks
- An Analysis of 5G Spectrum
- Webinar: UnTelco: Business Opportunities Beyond Connectivity
- North American Antenna Market - Mobile Cellular Macro Base-station Antenna