When It’s No Longer Just a Game
“Clash of Clans” developer Supercell changed partners when Tencent agreed to acquire all of SoftBank’s holdings in the company. Supercell, which is (and will continue to be) based in Finland, will remain an independently operated entity and its employees will retain their ownership in the company. Tencent and Supercell have both become powerhouses within the gaming industry, and this new partnership will create new opportunities for Supercell in the world’s largest gaming base, China. The partnership, and other M&A activity, such as Vivendi’s Gameloft takeover, however, speak to more than gaming alone, pointing to a coming groundswell of change to the greater entertainment market.
To find out more about subscribing:
- Two Takes at the Future of Interactive Video: Disney Planning a VR Short and Fable Looks to AI
- OTT and Multiscreen Market Update 2018
- Mobile-First Strategy for Video Streaming Services in Emerging Markets
- Next Generation Video and Content Delivery: 5G, Edge Computing, Mobile Edge Computing, and Information-Centric Networking
- Over the Top (OTT) and Multiscreen Video and Digital Content