When It’s No Longer Just a Game
“Clash of Clans” developer Supercell changed partners when Tencent agreed to acquire all of SoftBank’s holdings in the company. Supercell, which is (and will continue to be) based in Finland, will remain an independently operated entity and its employees will retain their ownership in the company. Tencent and Supercell have both become powerhouses within the gaming industry, and this new partnership will create new opportunities for Supercell in the world’s largest gaming base, China. The partnership, and other M&A activity, such as Vivendi’s Gameloft takeover, however, speak to more than gaming alone, pointing to a coming groundswell of change to the greater entertainment market.
To find out more about subscribing:
- Device Vendors Getting Ready for 5G Fixed Wireless Broadband Deployments
- Augmented and Virtual Reality in Education
- LTE and 5G Fixed Broadband Market Update
- Cloud Gaming Ramping Up with Google Stadia and Wide-Reaching, Multi-Market Impact
- Operators Embrace Next Generation Home-Networking Devices to Provide Robust Whole-Home Wi-Fi