How Apple Will Change Indoor Location in 2016: Part 1
With little in the way of actual product (an exception being the covert release of its RF mapping tool), Apple’s indoor location strategy was mired in rumors and hints in 2015, with speculation on a handset-based location technology leveraging Wi-Fi, BLE, and sensor fusion. This lack of progress by both Apple and Google has led to a gap in the market for good handset-based indoor location technologies, which has resulted in Baidu and SK Telecom investing in Indoor Atlas, with the latter also acquiring Shopkick. Tencent has invested in Sensewhere and now ABI Research understands the very impressive French startup Insiteo signed an agreement with a major internet player to build their indoor location technology into its app. WeChat built out the world’s largest beacon network with Sensoro, and ABI Research is aware of some other big internet players that have placed large beacon orders in the last six months. But we may start to see this opportunity close off in 2016.
To find out more about subscribing:
- Location Technologies Supply Chain and Ecosystem Tracker
- Webinar: Location Platforms, Value Chain Analysis, Technology Innovation, and Business Transformation
- Cellular and LPWAN Location Technologies
- Cellular Location-as-a-Service: A New Revenue Stream For Carriers?
- Hot Tech Innovators - Location Technologies