e-SIM in the Consumer Market: Opportunities and Threats
The e-SIM was designed specifically with M2M in mind to provide new levels of SIM robustness and to ensure continual operation across the life cycle of a machine, tailored for use in harsh/extreme environments and for applications where physically replacing a SIM unfeasible providing a manageable platform for remote locations. Today the focus has shifted onto consumer electronics. The GSMA has a consumer facing embedded SIM specification under development and rumors of the first e-SIM handset release continue to circulate, primarily focused on Apple’s next generation of devices.
ABI Research’s e-SIM report will outline and introduce the e-SIM market, provide analysis of where the e-SIM market is today alongside future forecast expectations with a particular focus on use cases in consumer electronics. This analysis will provide e-SIM impact discussion from a supply chain, provisioning and management position, outlining the potential effect on ecosystem players including smart card and secure IC vendors, OEMs and MNOs.
- 1. E-SIM: MOVING FROM M2M TO CONSUMER
- 1.1. e-SIM Introduction
- 1.2. e-SIM Report Scope and Definition
- 1.3. Work on a Consumer e-SIM Specification Continues: GSMA
- 1.4. SIMalliance Adds Support and Collaboration
- 1.5. Consumer-driven Considerations: Still a Lot to Think About
- 1.6. E-SIM-The Pros and the Cons
- 2. EMBEDDED SIM FORECAST EXPECTATIONS
- 2.1. Forecast Assumptions and Market Expectations
- 3. MARKET IMPACT-WINNERS AND LOSERS
- 3.1. e-SIM to Boost the SIM Market in the Short Term
- 3.2. Vendor Winners and Losers
- 3.3. Is a Handset e-SIM Closer Than We Think?
- Shipments of End-user Devices Supporting Embedded SIM, World Markets, Forecast: 2015 to 2020
- Embedded SIM Shipments by Region, Regional Markets, Forecast: 2015 to 2020
- Embedded SIM Shipments, ASPs, and Revenues, World Markets, Forecast: 2015 to 2020
- Embedded SIM Mobile / Smartphone Shipments and Penetration, World Markets, Forecast: 2015 to 2020
- Embedded SIM Handset Shipments and Penetration, World Markets, Forecast: 2015 to 2020