Non-Cellular M2M: Low-Power Wireless Access Market Update
This research analysis assesses the changing landscape of the non-cellular LPWA technologies that are increasingly becoming an important part of the IoT connectivity framework.
The first section analyzes non-cellular LPWA network technologies such as SIGFOX, LoRa, Ingenu, FlexNet, and PLANet, which are some of the dominant technologies currently in the market; the shift toward wider adoption of public LPWA networks, and the ongoing role of private LPWA network technologies. Public LPWA networks could potentially minimize the duplicity of networks and eventually lead to simpler deployment, optimized usage of existing networks, and seamless integration of the different public services in smart city applications. Currently, most of the integration of smart city applications is taking place on an ad-hoc basis and often post-deployment through integration at the application level.
The second section of the report provides an overview of the current and future applications of LP-WWAN technologies to understand their adoption in vertical markets such as transport and logistics, healthcare, industrial automation, intelligent buildings, consumer electronics, smart metering, and public sector infrastructure. This section covers some of the initial progress the technology has witnessed to date and provides an overview on some of the challenges and barriers in technology adoption.
The final section provides insight on the total cost of ownership of non-cellular public LPWA networks. The third section also provides an overview of the key infrastructure vendors that are actively promoting the LPWA technologies.
Table of Contents
- 1. NON-CELLULAR LPWA TECHNOLOGY PROGRESS
- 1.1. Overview
- 1.2. Evolution of LPWA Network Deployments
- 1.3. Regional LPWA Network Deployment and End-point Connections
- 1.4. Non-cellular LPWA Network Technologies
- 2. NETWORK CONNECTIONS AND APPLICATIONS
- 2.1. Energy Management: Smart Electricity Metering
- 2.2. Energy Management: Smart Gas Metering and Water Metering
- 2.3. Monitoring / Status: Home Automation
- 2.4. Monitoring / Status: Building Automation
- 2.5. Monitoring / Status: Parking
- 2.6. Monitoring / Status: Agriculture
- 2.7. Monitoring / Status: Street Lighting
- 2.8. Location / Tracking: People and Pet Tracking
- 2.9. Location / Tracking: Asset Tracking
- 2.10. Location / Tracking: Aftermarket Telematics
- 2.11. Other Applications
- 3. KEY INFRASTRUCTURE VENDORS
- 3.1. Public Network Components and Cost of Ownership
- 3.2. Key Infrastructure Vendors