Voice the New Killer App: Can You Hear Me Now?
Since the early 2000’s and probably before, MNOs have been concentrating on enhancing, upgrading and densifying their networks to handle the unrelenting growth in mobile data traffic—voice traffic and services took a back seat. Today the situation is rapidly changing thanks to Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, and T-Mobile have all launched VoLTE in the United Sates and VoLTE services are growing as device manufacturers such as Samsung and Apple now include VoLTE support in their latest handsets. T-Mobile and Sprint are offering Wi-Fi calling with AT&T Mobility and Verizon surely not far behind. Republic Wireless, FreedomPop, and Scratch Wireless offer a Wi-Fi First service with fallback to cellular thanks to their MVNO agreements. Also Cablevision now offers a Wi-Fi only service which they call FreeWheel as an option to regular cellular service. Wi-Fi calling may impact the small cell and DAS markets particularly when MNOs marry it to VoLTE with the promise of seamless handoff between the two.
To find out more about subscribing:
- 5G Emerging as Competitive Arena for Mobile Broadband, Cable, and Fixed Wireless
- Delivering a “White Box” Future for the Base-station
- RF Power Semiconductors Have Just Become a More Complex Business
- RF Power Semiconductor Devices for Mobile Wireless Infrastructure: Device Analysis for Macro Base Stations, Remote Radio Heads and Active
- The Quest for the Perfect VRAN