Wireline and Wireless Video Connectivity: HDMI, MHL, USB Type C, Miracast, and WiGig
This report evaluates the market potential and impact from USB Type-C as it relates to the video market and related devices. This includes the support for alt modes (e.g. DisplayPort and MHL) and the eventual push for wireless video connections (e.g. WiGig / 802.11ad). While the push for Type-C will initially come from laptops adding next generation USB technology and mobile devices, where single port form factors have become the norm, USB-C will eventually move into the CE space—most notably TVs and monitors. The delivery of power will also create new usage models, that, when coupled with productivity applications, is anticipated to help drive significantly wider consumer awareness and adoption of these technologies than what is seen in the market today.
Table of Contents
- 1. SUMMARY (CURRENT MARKET CONDITIONS)
- 1.1. HDMI the De Facto Video Connection
- 1.2. DisplayPort - PC Centric Interconnect
- 1.3. MHL & SuperMHL
- 1.4. Wireless Connectivity
- 2. USB TYPE-C A COMMON THREAD FOR CONNECTIVITY
- 2.1. Fewer Wires and the Ultra-Portable "Computer"
- 3. FORECASTS
- 3.1. Televisions
- 3.2. Monitors
- 3.3. Smartphones
- 3.4. Tablets
- 3.5. Notebooks