Government ID and Payment Convergence: Multi-application Analysis
ABI Research’s new report, Government ID & Payment Convergence: Multi-Application Analysis, will take a closer look at the convergence of the government ID and payments market. Today there is a significant trend in the incorporation of payment functionality into various identity credentials, such as national ID, healthcare and social security/welfare cards, or government ID applications converged onto payment cards.
Although market convergence will not be limited to the government ID and payments market, it is these two applications which have had the most convergence traction over the past 12 months. Likely the combining of these two applications will be the trigger for more to follow, including online payments and identity authentication, transition or introduction of mobile equivalents to name but a few. Travel/transportation, social security, and welfare, all now popular applications governments, want to enable on one card, extending functionality and providing a platform from which governments can have greater engagement with both its citizens and private sector service provider participants.
The enablement of multi-application is not a new concept, but true multi-application card deployments incorporating several application types are few and far between. As governments push for increased capabilities are we going to begin seeing the first true multi-application government ID cards coming to market? How will the inclusion of different applications affect issuance of standalone application cards and will market convergence have a play within the mobile space? Can Federation/FIM have a role within online authentication between converging markets? Will governments continue to be the issuance points of credentials or will issuance be pushed to other entities, including banks and financial institutions. These are just some of the example questions ABI Research will address within this analysis.
- 1. GOVERNMENT ID AND PAYMENTS CONVERGENCE: HERE AND GROWING STRONGER
- 1.1. Government ID Market Evolving: Convergence Is Coming
- 1.2. Convergence Present and Growing Stronger
- 1.3. Executive Summary
- 2. CONVERGENCE DRIVERS AND BARRIERS
- 2.1. Government ID and Payment Convergence Drivers
- 2.2. Government ID and Payment Barriers
- 3. CREDENTIAL TYPES IN QUESTION
- 3.1. Government ID and Payment Convergence Definition
- 3.2. Vertical Markets
- 3.2.1. National ID Cards
- 3.2.2. Healthcare Cards
- 3.2.3. Payment Cards
- 3.2.4. Social Security/Welfare Cards
- 4. WHY GOVERNMNET ID AND PAYMENTS CONVERGENCE?
- 4.1. Why Government ID and Payments?
- 4.2. Prepaid Card Adoption Fast Growing among Governments: Another Sign Convergence Will Wo
- 4.3. Bringing a Level of Interoperability to an Otherwise Fragmented Market
- 4.4. Leveraging Existing and Proven Standards
- 4.5. Are Issuance Points Shifting?
- 4.6. Convergence Is Not Just for Emerging Regions
- 4.7. Multiple Government Agencies Still Proving a Barrier
- 4.8. Consider Online and Offline Applications
- 4.9. Does Mobile Have a Place/Where Does Mobile Fit?
- 5. PLAYERS SET TO BENEFIT
- 5.1. Ecosystem Players Who Stand to Benefit
- 5.1.1. Smart Card Vendors
- 5.1.2. IC Vendors
- 5.1.3. Governments
- 5.1.4. Payment Networks
- 5.1.5. Financial Institutions and Banks
- 5.1.6. Payment Processors
- 6. FORECAST SUMMARY
- 6.1. Forecast Summary
- 6.1.1. Convergence - Now and in the Near Future
- 7. CHINA AND MALAYSIA SETTING THE MARKET TONE; RUSSIA, NIGERIA, INDIA, AND BRAZIL SET TO FOLL
- 7.1. Case Studies
- 7.1.1. Payment/Social Security Card - China
- 7.1.2. Aadhaar, India
- 7.1.3. MyKAD Malaysia
- 7.1.4. Nigeria National ID Card
- 7.1.5. Russia National ID (Universal Electronic Card)
- Smart Cards with a Combination of Government ID & Payments Functionality, Worldwide Installed Base and Shipments: 2013 to 2019
- Government ID & Payment: Payment Convergence Market Tracker, World Market
- China Social Security/Payment Card, Installed Base and Shipments: 2013 to 2018
- India Aadhaar Smart Card (National ID) Market Forecast, Installed Base and Shipments: 2013 to 2018
- Malaysia MyKad Card Market Forecast, Installed Base and Shipments: 2013 to 2018
- Nigeria Smart National ID Card Market Forecast, Installed Base and Shipments: 2013 to 2018
- Russia UAC Market Forecast, Installed Base and Shipments: 2013 to 2018
- Smart Cards with a Combination of Government ID & Payments Functionality, Worldwide Installed Base and Shipments: 2013 to 2018