Next Gen Retail: Electronic Shelf Labels
As yet, electronic shelf displays (ESL) have failed to achieve success beyond legislated countries to any great effect. A number of reasons have been cited including immature technology, low labor costs versus high label costs, monochrome limitations, low priority area for retailers, etc.
However, over the last 3 years the retail technology market has emerged as a vital area for retailers to consider, with ESL potentially playing a key link in engaging with the smartphone shopper, particularly when technologies like NFC and BLE are integrated. More importantly, ESL technology is essential in enabling brick and mortar stores to unlock the same benefits potential of dynamic pricing as online.
This report considers the wider regional adoption of ESLs, looking at major drivers and inhibitors in the future. The report also provides detailed analysis of how ESLs fit into the new retail technology ecosystem, the important role of NFC and BLE in enabling this and why dynamic pricing will be successful in brick and mortar retail.
- 1. INTRODUCTION
- 1.1. Broader Drivers for ESL
- 1.2. Retail Is Fundamentally Changing
- 1.3. Smartphone Shoppers
- 1.4. The Ideal Retail Technology Scenario
- 1.5. ESL's Role
- 1.6. Is ESL Essential in This Retail Technology Evolution?
- 1.7. Total Market Forecasts
- 2. KEY MARKET DRIVERS AND INHIBITORS
- 2.1. What Problems Do ESLs Solve?
- 2.2. Major Question Marks over ESLs
- 2.2.1. Return on Investment
- 2.2.2. Different Prices at the Shelf and Cash Register
- 2.2.3. Transitioning from Paper to Digital
- 2.3. What Does Dynamic Pricing Offer?
- 2.4. Dynamic Pricing Case Study: Monoprix France
- 2.4.1. Results
- 2.4.2. Conclusions
- 2.5. What Does NFC Offer?
- 2.5.1. For Customers
- 2.5.2. For Retailers
- 2.5.3. NFC Limitations
- 2.6. What Does BLE Offer?
- 2.7. BLE Limitations
- 2.8. BLE Is Not for Every ESL
- 2.9. Future Innovation
- 2.9.1. Energy Harvesting
- 2.9.2. Moving to the Cloud
- 2.9.3. Plug'n'play Infrastructure
- 2.9.4. Efficient Communications Channels
- 2.9.5. Color Displays
- 2.9.6. Other Technologies
- 3. KEY TRENDS AND BUSINESS MODELS
- 3.1. Retail Vertical Forecasts
- 3.1.1. FMCG: Grocery, Pharmacy
- 3.1.2. Big Box, Electronics, Mobile Phones, etc.
- 3.1.3. Small Retailers
- 3.1.4. Others
- 3.2. Regional Forecasts
- 3.3. Competitive Assessment
- 3.4. Emerging Threats
- ESL Installed Base Split by Region, World Market, Forecast: 2013 to 2019
- ESL Revenues Split by Type, World Market, Forecast: 2013 to 2019
- BLE and NFC ESL Penetration, World Market, Forecast: 2013 to 2019
- ESL Revenue Market Share, World Market: 2013