The Battle for the Mobile Device Channel
The mobile device market is entering a new phase where OSes and device manufacturers are increasingly entrenched and differentiation is challenging, therefore channel execution becomes ever more critical.
Responsibility for the sales channel lies with perhaps the largest department at any device manufacturer: the sales & marketing department. They spend the majority of their time selling and getting the best deal in the sales channel in terms of price, marketing spend, retail space (online and in store), and carrier subsidy.
Utilizing data from ABI Research’s Device Portal, this report will measure and analyze the state of play in the channel, and dynamics at play, the impact of device vendor’s efforts, and identify the balance of power and trends in carrier subsidy in the key markets around the world.
Table of Contents
- 1. THE CARRIER CHANNEL LANDSCAPE
- 2. FROM INNOVATION TO EXECUTION
- 3. HANDSET VENDORS IN CHANNEL
- 3.1. Fine Tuning Device Portfolios
- 3.2. Shifting Balance of Power
- 3.3. Android's Top Player
- 4. OPERATING SYSTEMS ON OFFER
- 5. FLAGSHIP DEVICES
- 5.1. Subsidies by Device
- 5.2. Subsidies by Vendor
- 6. CONCLUSION
- Select Flagship Devices across Nine Markets, June 2013
- Average Subsidy and Average Retail Price by Vendor in Nine Countries, June 2013
- Handset Online Offers by Price Band in Nine Countries, June 2013
- Handset Vendor Device Online Offers in Nine Countries, June 2013
- Device Vendor Online Device Offers by Price Band in Nine Countries, June 2013
- Operating System Share of Device Offers across 13 Markets, June 2013
- The Balance of Power