Is Whitespace a Viable Technology?
TV White Space radio describes the use of unused spectrum in the bands designated for TV broadcasting and other applications. The use of White Space radio has been touted for many vertical markets, with Machine-to-machine (M2M) communications being of primary importance. For M2M to take off in a significant way and the wider Internet of Everything (IoE) to become a reality, wireless solutions need to be ultra-low-cost (10 years), and have long range with good penetration. The use of White Space spectrum-based solutions could be the answer.
This study evaluates TV Whitespace technologies, potential applications, and future growth as well as assessing major players in the market.
Table of Contents
- 1. WHAT IS WHITE SPACE?
- 2. WHITE SPACE APPLICATIONS
- 2.1. Automotive, Transportation, and Logistics
- 2.1.1. Public Transportation Systems
- 2.1.2. Roads
- 2.1.3. Logistics
- 2.2. Smart Cities and Smart Grids
- 2.2.1. Urban Networks
- 2.2.2. Utilities
- 2.3. Rural Broadband
- 2.4. Others
- 3. MAJOR PLAYERS IN WHITE SPACE
- 3.1. Industry Groups
- 3.2. Semiconductor and IP Vendors
- 3.3. Database Vendors
- 3.4. Equipment Vendors and Others
- 3.4.1. The Weightless Special Interest Group (SIG)
- 3.4.2. WhiteSpace Alliance
- 3.4.3. The Wireless Innovation Alliance
- 3.4.4. Dynamic Spectrum Alliance
- 3.4.5. Wi-Fi Alliance
- 3.4.6. Neul
- 3.4.7. CSR
- 3.4.8. Texas Instruments
- 3.4.9. ARM
- 3.4.10. Microsoft
- 3.4.11. Spectrum Bridge
- 3.4.12. Google
- 3.4.13. iconectiv (Ericsson)
- 4. WHITE SPACE IN THE INTERNET OF EVERYTHING
- 4.1. What Is the Internet of Everything?
- 4.2. Where Does White Space Fit into the Internet of Everything?
- 5. THE FUTURE FOR WHITE SPACE
- White Space Enabled Device Annual Shipments, World Market Forecast: 2014 to 2020
- Installed Base of Wireless Connected Devices by Vertical Market, World Markets, Forecast: 2000 to 2020
- Wireless Technology Annual Shipments, without Mobile Devices, World Markets, Forecast: 2013 to 2020
- White Space-enabled Device Annual Shipments, World Markets, Forecast: 2014 to 2020