M2M Standards Adoption Driving Growth: Scale, Cost-efficiency, and Ecosystem Dynamics
M2M encompasses a range of different vertical applications and industries, and many of these are developing their own vertical-specific standards. There is now growing interest on the part of standards development organizations (SDOs) to develop horizontal standards that span across different vertical industries and are applicable to M2M development in a number of application areas. The key thrust of this activity is to define common topographies and lexicons for M2M terminology and then to extend this by defining a common M2M service layer. Such standards will help to reduce application development complexity, resulting in lower costs to both industry and the consumer, who will also benefit from more choice and less confusion.
This report provides an overview of efforts currently underway among leading global telecommunication SDOs to create horizontal standards for M2M that would apply across vertical industries and various communication layer technologies. The details of timelines surrounding development, impact and likely adoption among industry participants are also discussed.
- 1. M2M GROWTH HELD BACK BY LACK OF STANDARDS
- 2. GENERAL BACKGROUND INFORMATION
- 2.1. What Is a Standard?
- 2.2. Standards Organizations
- 2.3. Why Are Standards Created?
- 2.4. Proprietary Standards versus Open Standards
- 2.5. Vertical-specific Examples
- 2.5.1. Smart Grid
- 2.5.2. Automotive Telematics
- 2.5.3. Healthcare
- 2.5.4. Home Automation
- 2.6. Horizontal Examples
- 2.7. M2M Software Platforms Market
- 3. SDO STANDARDIZATION INITIATIVES
- 3.1. ATIS
- 3.2. CCSA
- 3.3. ETSI
- 3.4. ITU
- 3.5. OMA
- 3.6. TIA
- 3.7. SDO Collaborations
- 3.7.1. Eclipse Foundation
- 3.8. Conclusion
- Total Cellular M2M Connections by Application, World Market, Forecast: 2007 to 2016
- Total CDP Revenue by Region, World Market, Forecast: 2011 to 2017
- Total AEP Revenue by Region, World Market, Forecast: 2011 to 2017
- Total Connected Devices Platform (CDP) Revenue, Actual vs. TAM, World Market, Forecast: 2011 to 2017
- Total Application Enablement Platform (AEP) Revenue, Actual vs. TAM, World Market, Forecast: 2011 to 2017
- Cellular M2M's Place within the Internet of Things
- ETSI's M2M System Architecture