Industry Standards for IVI: MirrorLink Versus GENIVI
Consumers want to stay connected in their cars and OEMs increasingly see infotainment as a key differentiator for their vehicles. However, as the OEMs strive to meet their customers’ technological demands they must decide whether to deliver services through an embedded onboard system or via the customer’s mobile phone.
At stake is whether the in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) system remains a proprietary system controlled by a small number of OEMs, becomes an open eco-system nurtured by an international developer community that contributes customizations and upgrades, or whether all connectivity, processing, and service delivery resides in the phone and is controlled by the mobile phone industry.
With embedded electronics now representing almost one-third of a vehicle’s cost and in-vehicle infotainment systems accounting for a substantial share of that cost, the role of software standards has never been more important in the automotive world.
This article compares the prospects of smartphone integrated systems such as the MirrorLink standard developed by the Connected Car Consortium (CCC) with open source embedded systems such as GENIVI and provides adoption forecasts for both standards.
Table of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION
- 2. MIRRORLINK
- 2.1. MirrorLink Version 1.0
- 2.2. MirrorLink Version 1.1
- 2.3. Driver Distraction Issues
- 3. GENIVI
- 4. OUTLOOK
- 5. THE MARKET OPPORTUNITY
- Head-ends Compatible with MirrorLink 1.0
- Phones Compatible with MirrorLink 1.0
- Linux in Automotive Summary
- Safety and Security Telematics by Type, United States, Forecast 2008-2018
- Safety and Security Telematics Hardware Revenue by Type, United States, Forecast: 2008 to 2018
- Safety and Security Telematics Shipments by Type, Western Europe, Forecast: 2008 to 2018
- Safety and Security Telematics Hardware Revenue by Type, Western Europe, Forecast: 2008 to 2018
- Safety and Security Telematics Shipments by Type, Asia-Pacific, Forecast: 2008 to 2018
- Safety and Security Telematics Hardware Revenue by Type, Asia-Pacific, Forecast: 2008 to 2018
- Shipments of MirrorLink and GENIVI Connected Car Infotainment Systems by Region, World Market, Forecast: 2008 to 2018